Ina Fried, writing for Re/code:
BlackBerry on Friday confirmed its plans to launch an Android-based handset even as the company reported profit and revenue below what analysts expected.
The company said its latest quarterly loss, excluding certain items, was 13 cents per share on revenue of about $490 million. Analysts had been expecting a per-share loss of about 9 cents, on revenue closer to $600 million.
The upcoming Android phone, dubbed Priv, will have a slide-out keyboard and “combine the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform,” CEO John Chen said in a statement. Priv is due out at the end of 2015, BlackBerry said, adding that it remains committed to its own BlackBerry 10 OS, which is slated to get a software update in March with further security and privacy enhancements.
Announced on a Friday morning that just so happens to coincide with the launch of a new iPhone.
Someone didn't want this news to gain much traction.